Sunday, September 25, 2011

River Lab!

The red indicates where the recorded clams are located(The red oval is a cluster of clams in the area). The blue indicates are where the current is fast and the depth of the water gets deeper. The yellow is a reference point of location. The yellow thumb tack expresses the high foliage. I was not sure of what to actually do but I assumed this would suffice and explain the cool adventures of lab that day =). It seems the closer to get to land the more we would find clams but the deeper into the river we go we would not find much. The currents were faster the deeper into the river we went. We found cans in the river and there was a little catfish in one and it made me realize the impact we had on wildlife and the new habitats our trash becomes... which is not good at all. I also put my arm up into the sides of the river and there we nice air pockets for animals to live.




I found an unburnt piece of coal in the deep part of the river, and Dr. Rood pointed out that it was very rare for someone to find that. I kept it and also chipped it a little to see what it would look like inside. I would've never expected the inside of the coal to look like that. Overall I had an amazing time walking in the river and seeing all the minnows and learn new things I've never experienced before. This lab kind of set the bar for the rest of the labs. Can't wait! =D

No comments:

Post a Comment